In Houston, many communities like the Memorial Villages, are continuing to show increases in the value of the homes that have sold. The Memorial Villages include the six cities of Hedwig Village, Piney Point Village, Hunters Creek Village, and Bunker Hill Village which are South of Interstate 10. Spring Valley Village and Hilshire Village are North of Interstate 10. For the sake of this discussion, I will focus on the homes in the Memorial Villages South of I 10.
Once occupied primarily by German farmers, today the residents of The Houston Memorial Villages comprise one of the wealthiest communities in all of Texas. People flocked here in the 1960′s looking for an escape from the bustling Inner City. Homeowners today enjoy the luxuriousness of their sprawling estates and the hometown feel of a community they govern themselves. In 2008, Forbes.com selected Bunker Hill and Hunters Creek Village as two of the top three areas to live well in Houston.
Key Reasons Why Buying a Home in the Houston Memorial Villages makes good economic sense:
1. Bunker Hill Village, Hunters Creek Village, and Piney Point Village jointly operate the Memorial Villages Police Department. Hedwig Village operates its own Police Dept. The Village Fire Department serves all of the Memorial villages. These villages have their own mayor and council members. Safety, security, and local government give the residents the peace of mind and stability that all homeowners crave.
2. Most students who live in this area attend the Spring Branch Independent School District, where I had the pleasure of teaching for 7 years. The feeder schools that the children attend are: Memorial Drive Elementary, or Bunker Hill Elementary, or Frostwood Elementary which are all are Exemplary Schools. Memorial Middle School is an Exemplary School as well, which is quite an honor for a middle school population. Remember, Middle School? Was anyone THAT interested in school??? Well, these kids are! Spring Branch Middle School is Recognized. Memorial High School is also Recognized. These students are highly motivated individuals both in the classroom and in their extra curricular activities. Unlike many other “wealthy” neighborhoods in Houston, it is not paramount that you send your child to a private school when you live in the Memorial Villages North Of Interstate 10. When you live in the Memorial Villages, you can be comfortable in the fact that your children will get a good education. This is a big selling point for this area.
3. The Memorial Villages are very conveniently located to Central Houston. Surrounded by excellent shopping, fine dining, and hospitals, these Memorial residents do not have to travel far for these luxuries. The entire area is booming with new construction. Interstate 10 has finally completed construction and now has ten lanes. Getting to and from any part of Houston is so much easier.
4. The Houston Memorial Villages offers heavily-wooded sprawling lots, with a mixture of updated homes and older traditional homes. Memorial Villages offers modern homes, contemporary homes, Mediterranean style homes, and even Colonial homes. You name it, Memorial Villages has it. All the homes for sale are custom built, so your home will be a unique representation of only you! If you are looking to live on some acreage and you can afford to spend at least a million dollars to live in this community, the Houston Memorial Villages will bring you a good return on your investment. This community is stunning, and you will love raising your family here.
4. As many homeowners and future move up buyers contemplate the state of the housing industry, there are sound real estate investments to be made, even in today’s economy. Memorial Villages offers a great return on your investment. Let’s talk numbers! I pulled the sold listings from previous years. My parameters were: 77024 zip code, 4 bedrooms+, 4 baths+, New construction, No pool, 15000-35000 sq ft lot, 5000-6500 sq ft home. This is what I uncovered:
|Year||Price per sq ft.|
We all know how challenging of a year 2009 was for all of us in the housing industry. The stock market took a huge plunge, and the value of homes also took a nosedive. Builders had the worst year they have had in years. BUT, the plunge of 2009 still had homeowners who may have bought in 2004 holding onto some equity. How many other housing markets in Houston can say that? Less than 2. Maybe.
2011 is already showing some gains. I thought this story about the Memorial Villages in the Houston Chronicle was worth reading since it solidifies the points I have made.
I sell homes and lots in the Houston Memorial Villages of Bunker Hill, Piney Point, and Hedwig Village. If you are interested in listing your home or purchasing a new home in the Houston Memorial Villages, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
**I am pleased to say that I was the first broker to sell a lot in Greyton Place, a new community of custom built homes located inside Bunker Hill Village.